Sounds weird, but are you smiling while you’re typing?
A weird phycological blog post today, but I want to explore the effects of smiling while we type? Why? Because I can!
When I was young my Aunt use to recite a poem to me:
Smiles are infectious,
you catch them like the flu
When someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too!
I looked around the corner and someone saw my grin
Then I suddenly realised
I passed it on to them
It’s a simple one, but it got me thinking about my mindset when talking to clients and visitors over live chat and email. It is so simple just to write an impersonal email with no emotion but it’s never easy writing an email with emotion.
So why should we write with a smile?
It’s simple! It triggers happiness and joy on a physiological level, allowing us to think clearer and write with no grovel in our tone. You also will enjoy your conversations more and it will radiate into the words you’re writing.
- Just because something bad happens throughout the day doesn’t mean your whole day was bad.
- Feel free to get up and take a breath if the conversation gets tough.
- Keep a quote or picture close that you can look at. It will keep you grounded.
- Show your emotions in emojis 😀or even make a small gif to show your customer your real reactions.
- Stop saying ” I’m so excited to…” Unless you have balloons and a party hat on. Don’t over exaggerate just be authentic.
- Remember you don’t know how the person on the other end of the chat feels or if they are having a bad day. Why not be the deciding factor in them being happier?
Remember to smile